Monday, June 11, 2012

Whether you call it gravy or sauce, this is a good one.

I tend to be very modest, except when it comes to my spaghetti sauce. When it comes to sauce, well, mine is the best I've ever had. Given that I think it's the best, you'd think I'd want to keep my process a secret. The fact is though, I want to be a broadcaster, and a damn good spaghetti sauce is never gonna help me advance as a sportscaster. Actually, hold on while I go find out if my program director is into pasta!

Ok, let's get down to business. When it comes to making a great sauce the most important ingredient is time. I don't even consider making a sauce unless I have at least 6 hours to cook it. I typically only make sauce when I have the whole day to devote to it. If you're looking for a great vegetarian sauce, um...well....you're gonna have to find it on your own. This is a story of a sauce loaded with meat. I mean, so much meat, you can stick a large wooden spoon in the middle of the pan, and it will stand straight up.

Making a great sauce is simple and doesn't require a million ingredients. I'm sure you can go to a website where someone who's actually been trained to cook can give you a recipe loaded with oregano, bay leaves, and all kinds of other crap. Not this guy, I don't need any of that. By the end of this article, you'll know how to make a sauce that will blow any pasta lover away with nothing more than meat, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, garlic and garlic and onion salts.

You're gonna need a big pot because this is a large recipe. You could scale it down, but why not make a huge pot when it's just as good the day after than it is the day you make it. Plus, once you make a sauce this good, you're gonna want to share it. So go get your big pot already!

Put the pot on medium heat and add a little olive oil. Crush a few cloves of fresh garlic with the flat side of a large knife. Rachel Ray taught me that. You can chop it and leave it in the pot if you'd like, but I leave the cloves whole and just crush them to let out the oils. I leave the garlic in the pan while browning the whole meats, and remove it before adding the ground beef.

You may notice linguica in one or two of these photos, but my sauce is almost always, sweet and hot Italian sausage, chicken (boneless because I'm lazy) and ground beef. Once the oil is hot and ready, begin to brown the sausage and chicken. Just get it some color on all sides to help hold it the flavors. After browning the sausage and chicken (you'll likely need to do them separately because of room)remove them from the pot.Then remove (unless you've chopped it and are keeping it in) the garlic cloves and add the ground beef.

Once the ground beef is browned through add the previously browned chicken and sausage back into the pan. I don't measure anything, so as far as how much of this stuff to use, it's up to you. I typically will have a package (5) of hot and a package of sweet Italian sausage, 3 or 4 boneless chicken breasts, and about a pound of ground beef. Depending on just how large your meat mass is, and how thick you want the sauce, you're gonna need 2 or 3 cans of crushed tomatoes.

Add the crushed tomatoes to the pan and then a can (or two if you want, I never use more than one) of tomato paste to thicken it up a little. You may find you don't need it thicker. I make a sauce so thick you can't get it to stay on spaghetti. I use penne every time so it can hold the thick sauce.

Once everything is happily in the pot together I leave the heat on medium until I know it's all hot and I've stirred it enough for all the paste to be mixed in. Then I turn the heat to low and other than stirring it every 15 minutes or so, I don't touch or season the sauce for at least 3 hours.

After 3 hours add onion salt, garlic salt and pepper to taste. For me, pepper to taste, is lots of freaking pepper. Once it's seasoned to taste, just continue to stir regularly (nothing worse than a burnt sauce) until you're tired of stirring. Like I mentioned above, I never make a sauce if I can't cook it for at least 6 hours, but you don't have to cook it as long as I do.

You'll notice that the longer you cook the sauce, the more the chicken will begin to break apart. I use the spoon to find the bigger pieces of chicken and break them apart as well. By the time your sauce is done the chicken will be completely shredded through the sauce, leaving the sausages as the only whole pieces of meat in your sauce. The shredded chicken and ground beef will only add to the thickness of the sauce. Seriously, don't use spaghetti! This sauce need a pasta with some backbone,

When done, enjoy the best freaking sauce you've ever made! I told you, I'm modest, but not about my sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment