Saturday, June 23, 2012

Introducing The Greatest Wings On The Planet


I know what you're thinking. This guy hasn't had every kind of chicken wing on the planet. Well you're right. However, until you show up at my door step, or at my radio station with better wings for Darek Sharp and I, shut up. Ever since my boy Eric told me to try them, I've been telling anyone who would listen about these amazing wings I was calling Abomination Wings. Well, apparently the wings aren't called Abomination Wings at all.  Because these wings are a variation of their "Freedom Wings" The Power Play Grill actually calls these beauties "Obama Nation Wings."
 
Let me just say, I honestly couldn't care less about your political beliefs. As a sports talk radio guy, I care about two things, sports and food. I'm not a moron, and I do follow politics, but the fact of the matter is, I'd like all of you left wing lunatics, and all of you right wing lunatics, to listen to my opinions on food and sports. So please, for the love of sports, if you're going to comment on this article, don't let it be about politics, regardless of the name of these wings. I'm sorry I had to start this blog with a disclaimer, but I'm trying to save you normal food and sports loving folks from this thing getting all douchey!

If you were smart enough, or lucky enough to be listening to The Sharp Edge with Darek Sharp last weekend, you heard him and I talking a little bit about food, when I decided to tell him about the greatest damn wings I've ever had in my life! I'm not sure Darek was convinced, but he did say he'd give them a shot, since like myself, Darek likes himself some good grub as well.

Much to Darek and my surprise, he didn't have to wait long! This afternoon I answered the phone to what I thought would be another caller with a sports opinion. As much as I love our callers at the Sports Animal, I must admit, I was excited to learn that wasn't the case. When "the caller" gave me his name, I asked him what he called to talk about. "I got the wings from the Brandon Ice Sports Forum" he said. My first thought was, oh cool, another of our listeners went to try out the wings. Then I asked the next question I always ask our callers. Where are you calling from. "I'm in the parking lot." This wasn't a caller, calling to tell me he had tried the wings, this was Brent and Cardie from the Power Play Grill at the Brandon Ice Sports Forum, in our parking lot, bringing us wings! Talk about an awesome surprise on a Saturday afternoon.

Once, when ordering the wings I asked for the recipe so I could try to duplicate these at home. They came out OK, but when I tell you what's on them, don't think you can just do them at home. You can't. These wings are part mild buffalo sauce, part jerk sauce, and part sweet BBQ sauce, topped with garlic and Parmesan, (The Freedom wings are the same, minus the Parmesan and garlic) and just unbelievably delicious. The Power Play Grill has some good stuff on the menu. Their cheese filled "Bosco Sticks" are very good and the deep fried steak and cheese wrap was fantastic also, but I haven't ordered anything else (I used to be there every Friday) on the menu since trying the "Obama Nation Wings."
 
I want to be clear that the Brandon Ice Sports Forum and the Power Play Grill are not paid sponsors of 620 WDAE so this isn't a plug. Until they showed up at the station today, I've never gotten free wings there, (OK once, but a customer bought them for me after I turned him onto the wings!) or anything else for talking about these wings. They're just that damn good.

For the next week (but hey give it a shot after that just to see if it works right) if you go to the Power Play Grill and get an order of "Freedom" or "Obama Nation" wings, and tell them you heard it from Pat Donovan and Darek Sharp from 620 WDAE The Sports Animal, they'll toss in a free beer. Yea, that's right, I just told you about some great damn chicken wings, and got you a free beer. You're Welcome.  Oh yeah, since I just did you that favor, maybe tell them they should re-name the wings after me. After all, I'm pretty sure I've sold more orders of "Obama Nation Wings" than anyone who actually works there! What can I say, I'm hooked!

Check out my 620 WDAE sports blog and Animal on the Street podcast
Follow me on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment